Our Bankruptcy Attorneys’ Expertise
We represent individuals and entities in filing Chapter 7 bankruptcies in the Bankruptcy Court of the Southern District of California. We also assist creditors in presenting claims against debtors in bankruptcy cases.
Our attorneys bring decades of experience in filing bankruptcy cases. As the oldest law firm in Oceanside, we pride ourselves in providing service and assistance to local residents and businesses.
We help our clients navigate the bankruptcy process in an effort to restructure and rebuild their financial lives.
Filing for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
The purpose of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a liquidation of assets (subject to permitted exemptions) and discharge of eligible debts.
The decision to file for bankruptcy must be carefully made, after performing a thorough analysis of a client’s financial situation and needs.
Here is how we handle the Chapter 7 bankruptcy process:
- First, we conduct a phone consultation with a client to determine eligibility for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
- If a client appears eligible after this initial consultation, then we provide the client with access to an online form which must be completed. This form asks questions about a client’s assets and liabilities, employment status, income sources, and other information.
- After receiving the information, we conduct an in-person (or virtual) meeting with the client to review the information and resolve any outstanding issues or questions. Our goal is to protect as much of a client’s property as the law allows.
- Once the information obtained is accurate and complete, the petition is filed with the Bankruptcy Court.
- Soon thereafter, we assist clients in preparing for the Meeting of Creditors (referred to as the 341a meeting) with the Bankruptcy trustee. We also assist clients in resolving any issues or questions raised by the trustee, and provide representation in adversary proceedings or claims that may be filed by creditors during the case.
We recognize that folks who are considering bankruptcy are experiencing a high level of stress and that the decision to file is a difficult one.
Non-bankruptcy solutions may be available, and we help clients in exploring those options. We treat our clients with respect and provide accurate information and assistance to ensure that bankruptcy is the right choice.